About Doug Butler
~~ Dr. Doug Butler’s expertise on humane horse foot care is built on his combined educational and work background. Dr. Butler has a Ph.D. in veterinary anatomy and equine nutrition and over 50 years experience as a practicing farrier. He has devoted his life to studying problems associated with horse foot care and simplifying essential information into usable solutions that he shares with his students and fellow horse professionals. He is dedicated to excellence in horse foot care.
Dr. Butler Holds Many Unique Distinctions
- one of less than 1 percent of farriers in the U.S. to have a Ph.D.
- one of 550 Certified Journeyman Farriers in the U.S.
- He is one of 158 Fellows of the Worshipful Company of Farriers since 1356 A.D.
- He is one of 35 living FWCFs — the first American citizen to achieve it
- He is the only person who is a Ph.D., CJF and FWCF
Doug has won many state and national shoeing competitions, including the North American Challenge Cup Horseshoeing Contest, and he has been a member of the North American Horseshoeing Team 3 times.
His books, including “The Principles of Horseshoeing,” are the most widely used in the world on the subject of farriery. A popular speaker, Dr. Butler has spoken at many national horse symposiums and has been a featured speaker at Veterinary Congresses in Argentina, Australia, Canada, Great Britain, and Switzerland. He has addressed the AAEP and the first Florida Association of Equine Practitioners Conference.